When eggs are added to yeast breads, it produces a finer and richer texture. It also helps to provide color and volume. Using a bread machine to make the dough for egg bread buns, I’ve decided to add ham and cheese as fillings for these soft savoury buns.
If you do not own a bread machine, use a cake mixer with a dough hook attachment to make the dough.
Ingredients thoroughly mix and kneaded in a bread machine before the dough rises
Dough has doubled its size and completed the dough cycle in bread machine
Arrange buns on a baking tray and set aside to double in size
Ready for baking in oven until light golden brown
Remove buns from oven and let it cool down on a wire rack
Ham and Cheese Egg Buns
Egg Bread Buns with Ham and Cheese
- Slices of ham
- Slices of cheese
- 120 ml water
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp soft butter
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 300 g bread flour
- 7 g instant yeast
- Add all the “Dough” ingredients into a bread machine in the following order starting with water and the final ingredient is instant yeast.
- Set to dough cycle (mine runs 1 hr 10 mins).
- Take dough out from the Bread Machine and divide equally into 12 equal parts.
- Roll a piece of dough flat
- Put some ham and cheese in the center of the dough and wrap into a ball.
- Roll with the palm of the hand on the rolling board until the ham and cheese are completely sealed.
- Arrange buns on a baking tray and set aside to double in size
- Bake in oven at 180C for 10 mins until light golden brown
- Remove tray from oven and lightly brush the top of each bun with melted butter
- Put the tray back into the oven and bake for another 5 mins until golden brown
- Remove buns from oven and let it cool down on a wire rack